Tutoring & Academic Services
Welcome to the OMSA Academic Services Center!
The Academic Services Center assists students in developing the confidence, independence and active learning skills necessary to meet both the University's academic rigor and students' individual educational goals
At the Office of Minority Student Affairs Academic Services Center, our mission is to offer quality student-centered tutoring and academic services, nurture student success and to create a positive learning environment. In essence, we promote academic excellence and leadership development by fostering an environment that is reflective of our students' individual learning styles.
- Well-trained, resourceful tutors
- Comfortable and welcoming environment
- Responsive, caring, attentive, and culturally sensitive staff
- Matched Tutoring
- Drop-In Tutoring
- Supplemental Instruction (SI)
- Structured Study Groups
- Academic Skills Consultations
- Review Sessions
- Workshops upon Request
- Looking for a tutor, please sign up through TutorTrac™
- Students demonstrate understanding and application of the study/learning cycle and will achieve competency in identifying their own specific learning style and the accompanying study strategies.
- Students will be taught to use the study/learning cycle so that they will focus on the actual underlying process of studying and learning on one's own outside of the classroom.
- Through tutoring sessions of two or more students, students will understand the benefits of collaborative learning through group studying (asking each other questions, answering each other's questions).
- Accommodating students' individual learning styles will help students recognize the different ways that people process information to better understand the way they, themselves, synthesize information.
- Through targeted study strategies and time management methods, students will learn and practice effective ways to better prepare for assignments and tests.
Hours of Operation
- Mondays-Thursdays, 9:00 am-8:00 pm
- Fridays, 9:00 am-5:00 pm
NOTE: Tutoring and study skills workshops are not offered during the summer, on holidays, or when classes are not in session.
Address & Map
1103 W. Oregon Street, Suite E
Urbana, IL 61801
The office entrance is in the back of the building (just behind Merry Ann's Diner) and can be accessed from Oregon Street across from the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts.
Questions about the Academic Services Center?
If you need more information about tutoring, review sessions, study skills and supplemental instruction study, or study groups, please contact us at (217) 333-7547 or email@example.com.
- Lauren Pellant, Graduate Tutor Coordinator
- Patrese Anderson, Graduate Program Assistant
- Alaina Arthurs, Graduate Program Assistant
- Karthik Satish, Graduate Program Assistant
- Grace Casillas, Assistant Director
- Kimberly Alexander-Brown, Senior Associate Director
- Domonic Cobb, Director, Office of Minority Student Affairs & TRIO Programs